The Eight Principles are the foundation of the Parelli program. They arose from Pats first seminar and have remained the core of natural horsemanship.
“these should be tattooed on the inside of your eyelids” – Pat Parelli.
I did’t understand that initially, but as my horsemanship journey has progressed, I can’t overstate how incredibly fundamental these principles are to our development as horsemen and women.
I like to use this list as a diagnostic check list when things haven’t gone to plan or I need another strategy.
Learn them and use them!
1. Horse-man-ship is natural
2. Make no and teach no assumptions
3. Communication is two or more individuals sharing and understanding an idea.
4. There are mutual responsibilities in a partnership – 4 for the human and 4 for the horse.
5. The attitude of justice is effective.
6. Body language is universal.
7. Horses teach humans and humans teach horses.
8. Principles, purpose and time are the tools of teaching.